Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My parakeet is eating constantly. Last night, it appeared

Customer Question

My parakeet is eating constantly. Last night, it appeared like it was having seizures, but looks better today. Just won't stop eating.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the parakeet's name and age?
Customer: Not sure. It was at a pet shop where my husband works. It looked unwell, so he brought it home so we can tend to it.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your parakeet?
Customer: It only seems to eat seed. We've given it fruits and veggies, but it's not interested. It just wants to eat seed constantly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. I'm concerned that any parakeet eating incessantly is either diabetic or lacking essential nutrients which is more likely if it only eats seed and isn't also drinking excessively. Primary seed eaters will become deficient in vitamins A, B12, D3, and K and also in calcium. These deficiencies can result in seizures but seizures can also result from the hyperglycemia of diabetes, stroke, trauma, brain tumor and infections. An avian vet can check your parakeet's blood glucose level in order to rule diabetes in or out. Without a major diet change, however, this parakeet won't have a very long lifespan. Seeds should compose less than 20% of its diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: or here: should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?