Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My daughters hamster is breathing very fast looks like its

Customer Question

Hi my daughters hamster is breathing very fast looks like its shaking at times been ok until Saturday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** around a year and a half
JA: How old is Cindy?
Customer: over a year and a half
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no she has been fine until then in good health a constant bar chewer but changed her cage to less bars now
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in exotics.Can you tell me about the bedding?Has Cindy been eating and drinking?Is she passing stool and urine?Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The hamster is on sawdust bedding with her house bed made from hamster friendly nesting material. She is still eating her dry hamster food and drinking from her water bottle. She is still passing urine and stools as normal. Over the weekend however she started breathing very rapidly which looks like shaking when you watch her. She is less active at night than normal and seems to stumble and fall about about more. Her eyes do seem more squinted than normal but are not weepy.
The only cage changed that we have made in recent weeks is we bought her a plastic cage with bars on the top instead of her normal cage because she has been a very bad bar chewer and rubbed her nose fur a fair bit doing this. The cage was bought at a pet shop and we got advice first that it would be suitable for her.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I have several concerns about Cindy. The bedding you are using If Pine or Cedar can cause problems the are both Toxic to small animals the have oils and give off fumes that can cause the type of symptoms you have explained. Recycled paper bedding is a much better choice. The next issue is Cindy is an old lady in terms of hamster age, their life span is about 2 years. Being an older Hamster we start seeing some medical issues like Vestibular issues which causes the stumbling and the breathing could be allergies or this could be the start of a heart or Respiratory issue. With this being said, I suggest a Vet visit for a hands on examinations. As ou see the symptoms point in different directions and no way to pinpoint it unless having a hands on exam.Joan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The bedding is pet sawdust same as we have used all her life. Your answer is basically to visit a vet which is what I should have done from the start your input has been pretty useless. What I expected was a professional opinion on the sorts of illness related to this breathing issue to see if it could be serious and warrant a vets visit.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
I will opt out and see if someone else can assist you. Do not rate my service as that would block another opinion.