PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 3 year old house bunny is sick. He has an abcess on his

Customer Question

My 3 year old house bunny is sick. He has an abcess on his hind foot that we have been flushing and treating for 4 weeks now. He's on Ciprofloxacin antibiotic twice per day. Plus Meloxican for pain, with Sucralfate as a gastric protectant being given before the pain meds. He was acting normally for a while, then went off his food completely. I fed him by syringe for 4-5 days and then started to eat by himself. that lasted for 6 days. now he's not eating again for the past 4 days. so I'm back to Critical care & mushed pellets. I guess i wanted to know what if theres anything more i can do. He runs over to food sniffs it and then leaves it. like he has no appetite. Could that been either of the medications doing that? My Vet is doing her best but is not overly bunny savvy. We are in Jamaica where pet rabbits just don't exist! I noticed for the past 2 days he's been kind of hunching up his back like a kind of spasm with him back arched up. I thought it was hiccups but not sure. He doesn't seem distressed by the spasms and then goes back to grooming once it stops.any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bunny's name?
Customer: Lola
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so..... i am trying my best with him. Giving him Bene-bac 1 gram once per day.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Has a culture and sensitivity been performed on the abscess? 2) Have you seen improvements during this time while on the Cipro and Meloxicam?3) Is the abscess something that can be flushed? 4) Any pictures of the wound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also got Fibreplex in a syringe paste that i have been giving him a little per day. plus a pellet form Pro-fibre both by Protexin form the UK. i was adding to the syringe feed trying to up his fibre intake as he does not like hay and refuses to eat it in any significant quantity. He mainly eats green veggies and pellets. but he's not eaten pellets since he's been sick. he just picks at the veggies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The culture was taken.... but didn't grow in the lab. and now i cannot remember the bacteria it was.... but thats why she chose that antibiotic. He was on trimethoprim initially.
I am not sure what improvements i have seen apart from a reduction in pus formation in the wound. But as far as the rabbits general behaviour he is not a happy bunny. He has also taken to chewing almost anything at all in the house as week.
Yes the abcess is benign flushed currently 2-3 times per day with iodine solution and dressed with "silverkant" cream. But he does lick most of that off.
I have a few photos but there are on my phone not this computer. I would need an email address to send them too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That should say the abscess is being flushed 2-3 times a day. not benign
To share the pictures, they'd need to be uploaded. There's an attachment function on the page, but you can also upload them to a site like tinypic.com and share the pictures back. Are you able to get a copy of the culture so that I may look at it? There's no time limit on our discussion so if this takes a little while that would be fine. I'll be happy to help you figure out what can be done for your guy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it was Pasturella
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet would have that i didn't get a copy of it. But Pasturella is the name she said. The pus is a typical extremely thick paste and difficult to flush.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In your opinion could the medications in them selves be adding the appetite issue. I am having to syringe feed him which he hates, and that is stress full for both of us.
Absolutely. Antibiotics and NSAIDs commonly cause appetite issues in animals (cats, dogs, rabbits) and even people. A change in meds may help.
If you are able to obtain a copy of the C&S, I'd be happy to assist you in taking a look at it and seeing if there are other options. Depending on what antibiotics are available for use on the C&S, there may be an option of flushing/instilling into the wound a compounded antibiotic that could help locally. Many of these types of abscesses are chronic problems for rabbits and some never heal. Let me know how I can best assist you. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry Whats the C&S?
The culture and sensitivity that was taken.