PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My pet mouse is breathing heavily and not moving and not eating

Customer Question

My pet mouse is breathing heavily and not moving and not eating or drinking. Is she dying? Can I do anything to help? She is about 1 year and 3 months.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the mouse. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: It's been like this for 3 days now.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. I'm so sorry, JACustomer, it sounds like your mouse could very well be close to passing. Would you like some help finding a veterinary clinic in your area that could examine her to see if they can find what is wrong or assist in making her passing painless?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there anything we can do at home?
You can certainly make her more comfortable. There is no method of humane home euthanasia, unfortunately. Keep her in an area that's between 70 and 80 degrees and you may move her to a soft bedding area. Some owners prefer to hold and comfort their pets during this stage of their life.