Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

JA: . What seems to be the problem? Customer:

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: My son's hamster is not eating like usual, seems to be burrowing more, and when he went to greet her this morning, she bit him (has never before)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Sandy and We have had her about 5 months
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: don't think
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, I don't need to be called. Was just looking for an immediate answer, as I need to get to work.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, unless Sandy develops other symptoms of illness it will be very difficult to tell you why she has become inappetent and cranky. The most common problems seen in pet hamsters are enteropathies (disorders of the GI tract). Diarrhea may occur in hamsters and is known as "wet-tail" although this euphemism is frequently used to describe the disease in young hamsters. At 5 months+ of age, diarrhea in adult hamsters is assoocated with Clostridium difficile enterotoxemia. Tyzzer disease caused by Clostridium piliforme has also been described in hamsters.In a response to a survey, 6 of 14 laboratories in the USA reported pneumonia as the second most common clinical condition in hamsters after diarrhea but other authors have stated that respiratory disease is uncommon in hamsters. The true prevalence remains to be established. It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you at this time. A pocket pet vet may be necessary to perform a thorough physical exam on Max. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.