PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I was holding my ferret and she was sleeping. I felt her start

Customer Question

I was holding my ferret and she was sleeping. I felt her start twitching and when I started moving her she was limp. I was moving her. Her heart was beating but she was still passed out. She then woke up and seems normal now but I'm worried
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Hi JACustomer, thanks for your question. How long did the episode last where she had passed out?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Maby 1 minute
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She was just completely limp
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me about 20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
It sounds like you have witnessed what is known as a syncopal episode. This is commonly due to an underlying cardiac problem and is fairly common in ferrets. About 15% will have some cardiac abnormality during their lives. A physical exam is indicated, as well as blood work and possibly a cardiac workup. This may involve you being referred to a veterinary cardiologist to have an echocardiogram performed (cardiac ultrasound). There are cardiac medications that can be prescribed if there is an abnormality of the heart (what medications will depend on what is wrong). There's a great article here discussing ferret cardiomyopathy: http://www.2ndchance.info/cardiomyopathyferret.htmIf you need help finding a cardiologist in your area, please let me know your city, state and zip code and I'll get the info together for you. If nothing else, it will be useful to have this info on hand to discuss with your vet at the next physical exam.If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.