PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I'm Pati and I'm looking to why my son'

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Pati and I'm looking for answers to why my son's hamster has a swollen nose.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We noticed it about two weeks ago. Her eyes are clear and she is not sneezing/coughing. She is a very active girl who looks for ways to escape, but has a nice temperament. I think she may be pushing against the bars of her cage.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion? Do you happen to have a picture of her nose and her housing setup, as well?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry for the delay-I'm on break at work. I don't have a pictures. Her nose is swollen on the left side only, rounded, about .5 cm in diameter. The skin is not red, her fur is fine, no bare patches and I don't see any cut or bruise. She doesn't like it to be touched, but she doesn't seem to be in pain, either. I'm concerned that she either injured it trying by chewing on the bars of her cage, or that she may have an infection. I'm a kindergarten teacher and have gotten strep throat twice this spring already. I've seen staph infections before that swell up, too. When I went online and looked at images of hamsters with swollen noses, hers is not nearly as large or oozing as they show. I just don't want to let it continue to that point.
Her cage is large, with a plastic tub at the base, paper fluff(Care Fresh) and lots of room to run and climb. It's a chinchilla cage actually, 30"long x 18" wide x 30" tall. She has chewed the window sill through the bars(about 6 months ago) so I know she wants to get out. I've got to go...
Thanks for your reply. There's no maximum time on answering questions, so you're welcome to take the time that you need to respond. There's no rush, but it may take me a little while to get back online to respond. We can converse like this as long as it takes.It sounds to me like you're doing the right thing here with your concerns. The Care Fresh is a good choice for bedding and the cage is more than enough size for her to be comfortable, however, some hammies will still chew on bars, wood and anything else they can get their mouths on. Here are some ideas for you:1) Opt for a wide variety of non-toxic chew toys. Try some of these:*Wooden blocks* Nylabones made for small dogs (these come in a gummy consistency and also hard--great for chewing)*A small deer antler (made for dogs again but super hard for chewing!)*A variety of pet store chews like carrot treats, etc. 2) Consider switching her cage to that of a tank (with a topper!) for a few days to see if her nose improves when she cannot chew on bars. 3) Give her extra fun stuff to do like filling an empty "long" tissue box with shredded paper (trying to stick with stuff here you're likely to have around the class room). Hammies love to play in areas where they can hide and destroy stuff. Another option would be a half used box of tissues with some of the tissues shredded up, left loosely on top with a place for her to get into the box (pull off any plastic "lining" that might be present around the opening for the tissues). We often find that hammies will chew bars out of boredom, but that's not always the case. Some of them seem to do it because they like it. Unfortunately, it's not good for their little noses if they rub them to the point of swelling. A few days break from the rubbing may help you determine if this is a problem that needs to be medically treated or something that will resolve on its own. Typically we see an open area on the nose before an infection would set in, but it's always smart to monitor those things. And giving antibiotics to a hammy can be a chore (prevention is always best). If you need helping finding a vet that can see a hamster, let me know. It's good to have a plan in place as some locations have a sparse selection of vets to see pocket pets. If you have more questions or need some clarification, just reply. I'll get back with you just as soon as I can. If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.