Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

I couldn't find our old messages about my goldfish Bing

Customer Question

Hi Anna I couldn't find our old messages about my goldfish Bing we were talking about. He is just laying on the bottom now he comes up for food but goes straight back down he seems to have lost weight. Would he be suffering now? Do I just leave him alone and see what happens the other fish are not picking on him in just worried that he may be suffering now.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.

I couldn't find your old question either, even though I found a number of your other old questions. Very odd.

As long as Bing is eating, I don't believe he is suffering. Appetite loss is usually the first thing we see if a fish is in pain or extremely uncomfortable. And since the others are not picking on him, for now I would just leave him alone.

Signs that he may be in distress would be refusal to eat, lying on his side, inability to swim to the top, or gasping for air. If you see any of those, it would be time to humanely end his suffering.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Anna my mum told me today that he can't even swim to the top now. I am going over to check on him now.
If he is suffering I am going to take him to the vet to put down I couldn't do it myself :-(
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hi. It does sound like it is time. Make sure the vet you call knows about fish. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know how much you love your pets.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Anna I am taking him to vets today at 545 he looks in a bad way now: thanks for all your help always and for being so kind and understanding. I do really love all my pets big and small thanks again and have a wonderful weekend :-)
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.

You're welcome. I was hoping for a better outcome for Bing, but it wasn't to be. I'm so sorry for your loss.