PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have rescued baby field mouse and was advised to give her

Customer Question

I have rescued baby field mouse and was advised to give her cat milk, ok for 2 days and now having a fit, I feel so dreadful, put her on warm pad and pray she"ll be ok but cannot get her to take water and so tiny.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the baby?
Customer: one eye closed and found her 2 days ago on doorstep.
JA: What is the baby's name?
Customer: her whole little body has been contracting and her mouth open after doing so well
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the baby?
Customer: one eye closed
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence.

Poor little nugget. I'll do all I can to help you here. Can you give me some additional info?
1) Did this mouse seem outwardly injured?
2) Have you checked your area to see if there are any wildlife resources available?
3) Are the "fits" you're describing seizures?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
little mouse had an awful seizure with all muscles contracting and has dadly died - after doing so well for 2 days. Did I do the wrong thing giving her cat milk which she drank from my hand - I feel so bad she was beautiful and so active then suddenly this evening she started leaning to one side. The same side she had a closed eye.
I was advised to give her kitten milk but could only find cat milk

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

I think what is more likely here is that a cat probably caught her. Wild mice otherwise just don't come to humans looking for help. She was likely mortally wounded from the beginning, although your tender care probably kept her around long enough to enjoy her last few days, and it simply took time for her body to cease trying. Mice are EXTREMELY hardy creatures, so milk is unlikely to have caused the demise. These creatures can literally consume small amounts of rodent poison (meant to kill them) and keep on going.

I would not feel guilty about this. Whatever caused her to wind up in your care is more to blame than the cat milk. You did everything that you could.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.