Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My male hamster has started sleeping day and night. Not

Customer Question

My young male hamster has started sleeping day and night. Not eating very much and being vocal. Have only had him less than a week.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the hamster. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Punkin is not a year old. He was very unsociable the first time I tried to hold and talk to him. He was so anxious and bite me a lot while I tried holding him he was a little more calm tonight which I hope is a promising sign. I will be very patient with him for as long as it takes for him to trust me. I love him so much
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Punkin?
Customer: Not to my knowledge. He has a fresh bowl daily of hamster mixed seeds etc provided by commercial hamster food. I also feed him daily a bowl of greens. (Greens provided for hamsters) plus millett.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in small animals and exotics.

Can you tell me what type of Hamster Punkin is?

Can you tell me if he has been eating?

Is he passing stool?

Is he passing urine?

Is he drinking normally or excessively or not at all?

When you say vocal is he squeeking tooth grinding?

Joan