Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

We have breed guinea pigs time. I am a pharmacist and

Customer Question

We have breed guinea pigs for some time. I am a pharmacist and understand when an animal is sick. We have had this male Guinea Pig for about 3 months. He does not move much and only eats apples and oranges! no carrots, spring mix or veggies. I fear he is losing weight, a sure sign of not too long a life?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Small animals and exotics.

Does he eat his pellets at all?

Does he eat any Grass hays?

Do you give an actual Vitamin C supplement?

Have you tried any supplemental feeding?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Joan
He eats pellets
Not Vitamin C supplement, but Oranges and Apples
No supplemental feeding attempted
Eats a bit of grass / Timothy Hay (not a lot)
Has no vigor like other GPs?
No interest in anything
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

The lethargy he is showing may be due to his poor diet choices. It could easily be a vitamin deficiency, or could be a thyroid issue. I would start him on a separate Vitamin C supplement. You can crush the chewable Vitamin C tablets for humans. I would give 150 mg daily. The C as you know is water soluble so it should not be a problem. I would also start him on Critical care by Oxbow as a supplemental feeding to try and get some balance into his diet. A fecal sample done by the Vet would be wise as well as some blood work to rule out a thyroid or other medical issue. Hopefully with the boost in Vitamin C and Supplemental feeding, he will pick up. The Vet may be able to give an appetite stimulant. I can suggest a natuarl appetite stimulant which is Royal Jelly. It is what is Fed to the Queen Bee and has been used in cases like this. Just open the capsule and feed or dust over the food.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Joan
The Guinea Pig just passed away
Thank You for the help, just a bit too late
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

I am so sorry for the loss. I hope you will keep the information handy in case of a future problem. That information can help in a pinch if caught early on. If I have helped today, Please take a moment to rate my service Positive.