Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate

I have a guinea pig under a year old, and suddenly this

Customer Question

I have a guinea pig under a year old, and suddenly this morning he is screeching in pain! I think it is something with his back right leg. He screeches overtime he tries to hop/walk! He was find a few hours ago and his cage is flat, no levels
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have no idea what could have happened to his leg. He couldn't have gotten it caught on anything as the cage is a very large tupperware type with no grates. His bedding is the little paper balls.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pet Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.

Good morning, I just signed in and saw your question. I'm sorry your little friend is having such a tough time, it must be very upsetting for you to see this. My first thought is he could be lacking enough vitamin C in his diet. Guinea pigs are like humans when it comes to Vito C, and cannot make it in their body so it needs to be in their food. If vita. C is too low it can cause swollen, painful joints as well as a reluctance to move around. Now he will need some larger doses of vit. C and it can take a week to get him walking normally. I would like to discuss ways to increase his vita. C in his diet. If you are available now, we can arrange to go over some things to help for the longer term. I am ready to help more, let me know if you read this

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.

The pellet food for guinea Pigs has vita. C added but it is only good for 90

Days after it is made. You should never buy large quantities of food that lasts you more than 3 months. In fact, when you buy the food, you should assume it already is sod weeks old and you may want to buy a smaller quantity every 2 months . There are other foods you can feed. We all know oranges have vita c but red peppers have more than oranges. There is a site called veterinarypartners that is written by veterinarians and anyone can search the site for information. I hope things are going okay. Maybe you are not online because you are at a veterinary hospital.