PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a dwarf hamster who is almost 3 years old. He's never

Customer Question

Hello. I have a dwarf hamster who is almost 3 years old. He's never been very human-friendly in that I couldn't pet him or pick him up...until tonight. I noticed he was huddled in an unusual spot in his cage when I fed him and started petting him to see if he was responsive. And he let me, for the first time. He also let me pick him up and I'm still holding him in my hand. He's not moving much, breathing rather difficultly, trembling, and showing no interest in the treat I tried to give him. When he has tried to move, he wobbles back and forth before he gives up and huddles again. It's almost as if he's sleeping, but his eyes are slightly open (though I can't tell if he can see). His behavior sort of reminds me of what a cat of mine went through in the hours leading up to her passing. Would it be safe to assume he's preparing to enter hamster heaven?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the hamster. What is the hamster's name?
Customer: Skinner. I'd call my vet, but he's not available on weekends.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about My?
Customer: No.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Good evening. Thanks for your question. It looks like the expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available, so I have stepped in to assist you. At his age and based on the symptoms you're describing, it sounds like his passing could be inevitable and soon. If you have a preference toward it, he could also be taken to a vets office for euthanasia to prevent any suffering he might experience.