Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Shih tzu struggling to walk. He is 10 years old. Still

Customer Question

Hello. Shih tzu struggling to walk. He is 10 years old. Still eating although not very much. He is drinking lots of water. Almost too much. He is not himself. He also has lots of dry crusty patches that are yellowish. Like scabby dead bits of skin.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A shih tzu dog.
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: He is not walking at all. Yes he is a pet.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: A dog.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the's name?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No wound. Its not like an injury.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. What has to be determined here is if this is an orthopedic/neurologic problem, such as an injury or arthritis, or a weakness problem due to a metabolic problem. With the excessive drinking, I would be concerned with kidney failure, diabetes, Cushing's disease (adrenal glands - usually has excessive appetite), cancer or liver problems. The skin can be related to any of these issues due to lack of nutrition or immune system problems. In addition to arthritis and an injury, there may be a problem around the spinal cord, such as a disk herniation or a tumor around the spine. The first thing I would recommend doing is to have your vet run some blood work and a urinalysis. If the vet deems necessary from physical exam, they may recommend doing some x-rays of the rear end and spine. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.