Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a teddy bear hamster that is bleeding from her low

Customer Question

I have a teddy bear hamster that is bleeding from her low stomach
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the teddy bear?
Customer: No. It's healthy and this just happened yesterday
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you seeing an actual wound that she is bleeding from?

Or is she passing blood from her vulva or rectum?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Does she seem weak or wobbly with this?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I wasn't sure that it's a she or not. We got the hamster about 8 months ago from a friend who couldn't take care of her anymore. It would appear that she's bleeding from her vulva though. Her gums look ok but she's not too thrilled about me looking so it's hard to tell. She's generally a pretty lazy hamster to be honest but she's not wobbly or weak.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

If we have a possible vulvar bleed, can you tell me if she is just dribbling blood or if it is being passed with urine?

Any odor to this? Any pus?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
dribbling blood and no strange odor other than the smell of blood and no puss
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't afford to take her to the vet. I'm a single mom of 3. I'm trying to help her here at home
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad that there is no pus or odor, as uterine infections in hamsters can appear this way and can be difficult to treat (especially as the treatment of choice if surgery to remove the uterus). With this aside, I have to warn you that her signs do raise suspicions of a possible bladder infection or tumor in the bladder. And I have to note that while the former is thankfully more common and treatable; it does tend to require antibiotics to do so (which legally can only be dispensed by a vet that has examined her in person).

Therefore, since funds are a concern, I want to provide some possible resources you can use for your lass. If you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) and Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). That way you'd only have to pay for the cost of treatment which shouldn't be very much for a wee one this small. Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help get your hamster treated and stop this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**I would be very grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)