Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

We have a large koi that has very large bulges on each side

Customer Question

we have a large white koi that has very large bulges on each side and is having difficulty swimming. At 1st we thought it might be pregnant but it's continued for several months now and I'm thinking it could be a tumor of some sort.
Thoughts?
Thank you,Customer
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 11 months ago.

Hello John and welcome. I was just ready to log off for the night (it's 1:30 a.m. here) when I saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. From what you have described, this is not an emergency, and I can better help you when I'm wide awake, so I would be grateful if you wouldn't mind waiting until morning. In the meantime, there are a few more pieces of information that will be helpful. Is the swelling just in front of the tail or is it more toward the front of the body? Does the fish have scales that are sticking up, giving it a pine cone like appearance? Is it eating well? I will look for your responses in the morning. I appreciate your patience. Thank you.

Expert:  Anna replied 11 months ago.

Hi again, John,

I want to explain why I need the above information in order to help. Swelling near the back of the fish can indicate retained eggs from the previous year. Swelling farther ahead on the body could be a tumor, severe constipation, or an injured/infected swim bladder. Scales sticking out are a sign of dropsy. The outlook and treatment for these conditions is different, so it's important for me to know these things. Thank you.

Anna