Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My name is ***** ***** Camilleri from malta :- my 11 year

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** Camilleri from malta :- my 11 year old cocker spaniel is caughing and sounds like he has catarrh but he does not throw anything out
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog has sandfly and I give him a pill daily since 10 years and he is 18 kills in weight
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pet Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for your question.

Coughing in dogs is often due to one of the following: kennel cough (infectious disease of the trachea/ windpipe), collapsing trachea, pneumonia, heart disease, cancer (primary or metastatic to lungs) or bronchitis.

The only way to know for sure, is to get some chest x-rays. During the exam, the vet will listen for a heart murmur and crackles or wheezes in the lungs. This would point to heart disease or bronchitis, respectively. Even when the lungs sound normal, we can still see pockets of pneumonia or lung tumors.

Just generally speaking, if the cough is more prominent when laying down or at night then it's more likely to be heart disease. If it's more prominent when excited, then collapsing trachea is more common. If it's productive and he brings up green or brown phlegm, then pneumonia is more likely. If it's wheezy, then bronchitis is more likely.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.