Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My chines dwarf hamster has a very bloated swollen belly he

Customer Question

my chines dwarf hamster has a very bloated swollen belly he is eating and drinking and getting around , what could this be and is he likely to survive
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: his name kanye and hes a year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kanye?
Customer: no apart from his tummy hes his normal self
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in small pet health. I'm sorry to hear that Kanye is ill.

There are several possible causes of this type of bloating. In younger hamsters, constipation is a common cause. If you're not certain that your hamster is passing droppings, place him in a box on clean paper towels for 20 - 30 minutes. If no droppings are passed in that time, he may be constipated. You can give him a few drops of olive or other vegetable oil. He may lick it off your finger, or you can put it on a treat. it may also help to feed him a bit of apple with the peeling.

There are serious health conditions that can also cause bloating. Congestive heart failure is one. A hamster with CHF may have difficulty breathing, may wheeze, or get tired easily. Kidney disease can also cause fluid retention. Hamsters with kidney problems often drink a lot and urinate a lot. A tumor or infection of the reproductive system or digestive system may also cause the abdomen to swell. You would need a vet to diagnose and treat any of these serious conditions. The following links will take you to directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password ***** well.

http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list

http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html

If your hamster is constipated, but the above measures don’t provide relief fairly quickly, there could be a more serious problem occurring in the digestive system, such as a twisted intestine or a tumor. Again, you would need a vet.

Whether he will survive depends on what is wrong. Problems with internal organs may go on for a few months before causing death. Digestive system problems taht are not taken care of can quickly become life-threatening. The fact that he is eating and moving around is good. I hope it will turn out that he has simple constipation.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope Kanye will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna