Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My cat is 17 years old. He is deaf but other than that he

Customer Question

my cat is 17 years old. He is deaf but other than that he has been in generally good health. A coupe of days ago he started walking sideways and its clear he has no control of his back legs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: no. he mainly just sleeps
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Diamond
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Diamond?
Customer: not really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does Diamond appearing weak and wobbly? Or does he drag either leg?

Does he have a head tilt? Any circling?

Any access to toxins, medications, or plants?

Any changes to his breathing, thirst, or urination?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
weak and wobbly but does not drag either leg. not head tilt, circling, med's or plants. He sleeps mainly in the garage. Breathing, thirst and urination seem normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that he isn't showing any of those other signs nor has he ingested anything worrisome. If that is the case, this does allow us to rule out a number of worries for your lad. If he had we a spinal issue or blood clot, we'd have seen some of those signs I asked about. And if we had an underlying issue like kidney disease, thyroid issues, or diabetes; we'd have likely seen some of those other systemic signs.

With those aside, his signs, and ability to use those legs (even if wobbly), this does mean that our most likely causes for his signs are going to be related to arthritis +/- muscle strain. And both are very common to see at his age. Now in regards ***** ***** if he is struggling quite a bit, then we'd want to plan to have check with his vet to confirm our concerns and so that a cat safe anti-inflammatory can be dispensed for him (since human OTC options are dangerous for cats).

Otherwise, in the meant time, I'd note that there are some OTC options you can try to ease his sore joints/spine. First, you could consider trying glucosamine/chondroitin supplementation. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful with arthritis and can sometimes be just enough to take some of the discomfort away from his aching joints. Normally we give kitties 50mg glucosamine + 15mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, do consider trying this with him.

As well, we can find fish oil (omega 3+ 6) beneficial for cats with arthritis. This is a natural anti-inflammatory and can reduce inflammation in sore joints. Typically, we will give 90 mg EPA and 60 mg DHA per 5lbs of body weight. So, this too would be something to consider for him.

Finally, since sore joints often respond to warmth, you could consider offering him a heating pad to rest on. This way he can relax his muscles and joints and hopefully move better for us.

Overall, his signs do raise concerns that arthritis is causing him bother but does rule out a lot of our more serious worries for your lad. Therefore, we'd want to consider the above approach to keeping him comfortable and as mobile as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

If I was able to help you with your recent inquiry, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer since this is the only way I am credited for doing so (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply with any issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.