Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Five days ago my four year old guinea pig began dragging her

Customer Question

Five days ago my four year old guinea pig began dragging her hind legs behind her. We know of no injury? She has always been such a happy and loving young lady.
She looks sad. I know that sounds weird, but she really does. My heart strings are just tearing me up. She is eating, if I put the food in front of her. She does move, but as little as she can.
Tearfully, Debbie Hoggan
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning Debbie and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about poor little Addy's condition. I know it is painful to watch. This could happen just by moving the wrong way causing a disc in her back to impinge on the spinal cord. If there is any feeling at all in her legs, this is a good sign. If she has no feeling, this is not a good sign for her to improve. It would be best, ***** ***** take Addy to your vet so that medication that is only by prescription, can be given to decrease the inflammation surrounding the spinal cord to decrease and allow nerves to function. You can give aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to help but this can also cause some other issues such as stomach ulcers. The aspirin will decrease the inflammation and hopefully release the nerves so they can function.

Just do the best you can,Debbie...I know she appears sad and she is....check for feeling in her rear legs..the prognosis is not good if there is no feeling.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I want to thank you for your reply . Sadly, Addy passed awat the following early morning. I may be 65, but I absolutely love these girls. They are like children to me in many ways. Her death was a god send for her, because she is now across the rainbow bridge. Thank you again for your caring heart.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Oh Debbie!! I am so so sorry! I know how sad this can be when you get attached! You did all you could, Debbie, and now Addy is in a better place!!