Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My daughters hamster, She was playing with the hamster two

Customer Question

My daughters hamster
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She was playing with the hamster two nights ago and when she put it up for the night it quit moving and is barely breathing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pet Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in small animals and exotics.

Can you tell me what type of hamster you have, is it a syrian or a dwarf?

Has the hamster been eating and drinking?

Is the hamster cold to the touch?

Is it passing stool and urine?

Diet you feed?

Type of bedding used?

I will be out on an emergency call, but will respond as soon as I get back.

In the mean time please take a Q-tip with a little Pancake syrup or Karo syrup and rub it on the hamsters gums. This will help balance the glucose levels. I will be back asap.

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not sure what type it has long fur. It hasnt been eating or drinking and its cold to the touch. I believe it is passing urine not sure about stool. Diet is gourmet recipe a blend of fruits, vegetables nuts and grains. Bedding is the colored bedding
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

I had you use the syrup, because Hamsters metabolism is very fast and when played with the blood glucose level can drop , so the syrup was to help balance the glucose levels to see if it would help. These hamsters have a 2 year life span and you did not mention how long you have had it. WE need to get a heating pad on low under the Hamster to warm it up. Next we need t start some fluids going in which we can use a 50/50 Pedialyte and water mix increments. Last we need to grin some of the pellets that is in the food and mix with the pedialyte water solution and syringe feed. We need to get food going in to help the gut keep going. Dehydration, low body temperature and lack of nutrition is what we are fighting with. Please try these suggestions and see if the hamster starts responding. Even if it does a Vet visit is suggested asap to check and see what may have caused the initial issue. If you do not have pellets in the house please pick up Critical care for herbivores at the per shop and follow the mixing directions. Hopefulyl all these first aid measures will help and get the little hamster feeling better.

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Im sorry the hamster has passed Riga mortise has set in.
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

I am so sorry about the loss. Hamster life spans are so short and they are predisposed to Diabetes. Please accept my condolences.

Joan