Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

Guinea pig has a smelly discharge that is coming from her

Customer Question

guinea pig has a smelly discharge that is coming from her bottom and is on her fur. I bathed the area yesterday and changed the bedding but it is not helping. She is eating fine and acting normal otherwise.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Coco and we aren't sure of her exact age. Around 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech fr 30+ years when I hear about this type of problem there are several issues that can cause this and all need to be addressed by a Guinea Pig Savy Vet. A UTI is a possibility; so is a uterine infection which is called a Pyometra. If it is a pyometra, that requires immediate attention. Pyometra's is when the uterus fills up with Pus and Coco can go septic from the infection. In either case, it is wise to have her seen asap to be diagnosed hands on and a culture done so appropriate treatment is started. This is about UTI: http://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html and this is about Pyometras: http://54monkeys.com/2015/09/08/5-things-guinea-pig-owners-need-to-know-about-pyometra/

Please let me know if you need any clarification on this information. If I have addressed your concerns, please take amoment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
$1,400 dollars and one emergency surgery later, she is fine. She had 1 calcium ball removed. Another smaller one will probably be coming out in her urine. She sees the reg. vet late this week for a post surgery check up. She is home and eating, however. Thanks for asking.
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

So sorry she had to go though that and glad you found the problem. I was hoping it was no more than a UTI. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars so I can be compensated for my answers..

Joan