Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My one year old male ferret has stopped eating and drinking.

Customer Question

My one year old male ferret has stopped eating and drinking. I must syringe feed him water and he will take duck soup from a spoon to eat. He is sleeping all the time and does not want to play. One day he was hell on four paws the next he just stopped eating and drinking and wants to be held all the time and sleep. He has been to a exotic pet vet. She has done blood work, x-ray, ultra sound, and biopsy and can not find anything wrong with him. We had another ferret a female that was 5 years old and his friend who got sick with cancer. He stopped eating on his own about 2 weeks ago and she passed at the end of last week. Did he know she was going to pass and he is depressed? Is that possible? Any suggestions on how to get him eating and drinking again. My big concern is dehydration. His poops all look very healthy. Like I said his whole demeanor changed over night. I will be taking him in to see the vet tomorrow for her to check him again. Do you have any suggestions of anything she may not have tested for?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the ferret?
Customer: They did shave some fur off to do bloodwork and I have noticed that the hair has been very slow to grow back
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years, with interest in small animals and exotics.

Can you tell me if the Vet did a fasting glucose where he went in without eating for 2-3 hours?