Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My hamster has diarrhea and right now I am not able to take

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** hamster has diarrhea and right now I am not able to take her to any veterinarians. Is it safe to give her pedialyte and what else can I do to help her?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I first noticed the it yesterday. She has a wet tail, a swollen anus, and she is slightly lethargic.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pet Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

I am very sorry to hear that your lass has diarrhea. Especially as it can become quite dangerous for them; as they only have small body reserves and thus are high risk for dehydration. In regards ***** ***** Pedialyte, you can give this and will want to give 4.8ml per 100 grams of her body weight as her daily minimum requirement. Of course, since we have diarrhea, you need to also add an amount to match her losses in stool. This total is for a 24 hour period, so do make sure to split it into multiple offerings. As well, we can sneak fluids in by syringe feeding veggie baby food but otherwise we want to feed high fiber food ( ie high fiber pelleted feed, pumpkin, squash, etc) as this will help bulk up her stools and reduce the diarrhea. And that is our best option if we cannot get her to a vet for fecal testing to determine if its safe to use Kaolin with her (since it can do more harm then good with some bacterial infections) and get antibiotics dispensed.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

**Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no extra charge to do so). If you have any lingering questions, please just let me know. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)