PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My ten year old maltipoo ate some raw tuna sashimi that i

Customer Question

my ten year old maltipoo ate some raw tuna sashimi that i was eating the other night, and now she has very runny golden diarrhea with big traces of red blood in it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the tuna will be able to digest that. What is the tuna's name?
Customer: albacore
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Albacore?
Customer: nope. flash frozen raw, eaten in tiny slices raw.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 12 months ago.

Good evening, thanks for your question. It looks like the professional you were hoping to speak with is not currently available, so the website opened your question to others so that you can receive prompt help.

I'm sorry to hear that your companion is having diarrhea after having eaten albacore sashimi. It's not uncommon for pets, especially dogs, to have diarrhea after eating something different from their typical diet. In some cases, the diarrhea can start for an unknown reason.

Anytime we see blood in the stool, we become concerned. If at any point your companion stops eating or drinking, you'll need to have her seen promptly by a veterinarian. So long as she is still eating and drinking normally, it's acceptable to offer her some food that is gentle on the stomach with a higher fiber content to try to alleviate the diarrhea and hopefully the blood along with it. For this, you'll boil skinless and boneless chicken breasts with only water and either white or brown rice. Boil this until the water is reduced and the rice is mushy. Alternately, you can also use canned pumpkin (not pie filler) and chicken breast. This should help to clear up the diarrhea. If it does not, the best thing to do is to have your companion examined by a veterinarian. We usually see improvements within the first 24-48 hours after using this type of bland diet. You can feed it regularly until her stools are back to normal and then slowly switch back to her regular food. Keep in mind for future situations that aging dogs are prone to GI upsets and this could potentially happen again. It's good to keep the bland diet in the back of your mind should it work this time, in case you ever need it again.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback. This is how experts are compensated for their time with each customer. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.