Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My guinea pig is suddenly weak in the nd end. She is moving

Customer Question

My guinea pig is suddenly weak in the hind end. She is moving in a hesitant wobbly way. Otherwise she looks fairly normal I think. She is eating but not quite as much as usualy though today.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My daughter thinks the guinea pigs feet are warmer then usual. She is a 5 year old abysinian female. I just want to know what are the possible problems. Is there anything I can do before I am able to visit a vet?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pet Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear that your Guinea pig is having this problem. To answer your question about possible causes, there are many. Insufficient vitamin C can cause scurvy, which can lead to weakness in the backend. You can give get supplemental vitamin C - 50 mgs. per day. Some guinea pigs will eat the children's chewables. You can also use the liquid type made for infants. This would be the only potential problem that could be treated at home. Other possibilities include E. Cuniculi, which is a protozoan brain parasite, injury to the spine, a stroke, or a brain tumor. These will all require a vet's help. If you need more information, let me know in a reply. I hope this will turn out to be something treatable. Anna

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I will be logging off for the night soon, but will check back n the morning to see if you need anything else.