Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Cheryl, I have a 40 lb mix who just got into a Valium pill

Customer Question

Cheryl, I have a 40 lb mix who just got into a Valium pill container. The best I can figure she ingested about 30 mg... Is the lethal.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Joe,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40 lb mix got into pill container. Ingested 30 mg Valium. I s the fatal. Seems fine now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want a free trial of the service. Just need an answer now.

Hello again Joe

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Well where a dog has ingested any sort of drug it should not have then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However even if you do not manage to induce vomiting then I would not be too concerned since valium is commonly used in dogs at a dose rate of between 0.25 to 1 mg per pound of the dogs bodyweight, this gives a top dose of 40 mg for your dog so the 30 mg she swallowed is within a recognised therapeutic dose rate and so should not do her any harm. All you are likely to see is some degree of mild sedation for a few hours in your case.

3. You can confirm the above dose rates and read more on how this drug is used in dogs here : LINK

4. Also I should also be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Joe,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is doing after the accidental valium ingestion.

Please let me know how things are going ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Joe,

Of course I am very glad to have advised in a timely manner and hopefully Tucker has been unaffected by her experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott