Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Want to try oral or enema with mineral oil?? how much?

Customer Question

Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 10 months ago.
Hello,I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.Administering any kind of oil orally is very risky. It's too easy for it to be aspirated into the lings. Even a tiny amount can cause fatal aspiration pneumonia. Using oil in an enema won't be any more effective than the warm water. The stools are hard and dry from lack of moisture, not lack of fat. If you want to try to increase the volume of the stools, I'll give you something to try. Since you are giving a slurry anyway, add a little (about a teaspoon) baby food prunes to the slurry. Prunes have a way of normalizing droppings. When you feed him greens, rinse them off but leave as much water as possible on them. That will get more liquid into his body. You can also give water by syringe in addition to what he is already getting.At age 7, your rabbit is a senior, and older rabbits often don't recover as quickly as young ones. Some cases of GI stasis require long term treatment - weeks or months. Sometimes more than one gut motility drug is needed. It can be a difficult disorder, and a few rabbits don't respond well to anything.Your rabbit also may not have enough good bacteria in her digestive system. You can give him some probiotics to help with that. BeneBac is a good brand sold in pet stores. You can also use the liquid probiotics made for humans if you can find a non-dairy one. Health food stores carry them. Give some every day for several weeks, and then once or twice a week after that. Sometimes GI stasis is caused by serious conditions. I recently lost a rabbit after months of treatment. He would get better for a week or two, then develop stasis again. My vet took x-rays, did blood work, checked teeth, etc., but found nothing wrong. Finally, the vet suggested exploratory surgery. Cancer was found in the intestines, but it never showed up on x-rays. I'm telling you this not to frighten you, but just to alert you to the possibility that not all conditions will show up with conventional tests. If your rabbit doesn't respond to anything, surgery may be an option.If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll be able to find an effective treatment, and that your rabbit will reach a full recovery.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!