Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

Squirrel bloody urine. Antibiotics ok!? In squirrel size

Customer Question

Squirrel bloody urine. Antibiotics for humans ok!? In squirrel size portions?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in small animals and exotics. I cannot suggest any medication or dosage to use, since it would be illegal. You need to have a hands on relationship with the squirrel and the Veterinarian.

Antibiotics should never be given unless prescribed by a Licensed Veterinarian. Squirrels fall into the Rodent family. They cannot take all antibiotics and some are harder on them than others. Procaine Penicillin and Streptomycin are are definitely two that cannot be given to a Squirrel. Other medication should be determined by a Veterinarian. If you have a Veterinarian you can show them this Chart to assist you and this is by the Irish Veterinary Wildlife Vets: http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/squirrel-drugs.html

In the mean time you need to push fluids and need to mex some Cranberry Juice unsweetened with water to dilute it and feed that. The Vitamin C in the Cranberry Juice make the urinary tract inhospitable to bacteria and will help, until you can have the squirrel seen hands on by the Vet.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 Stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan