PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My chinchilla is acting very strange.

Customer Question

My chinchilla is acting very strange.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is barking loudly and collapses to her right side and twitches while barking. She's been doing this for the last hour. On and off.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hi Jenn, I'm so sorry to hear that Pearl is not well.

It sounds like you are witnessing seizure activity and it would be advisable to have her seen by a vet who is knowledgeable in treating chinchillas. They will likely want to run some labwork to be sure that there is no underlying cause, as well as obtain a urinalysis and a fecal sample as well. There are a lot of causes of seizure activity from parasitic infections to malocclusion to low blood sugar and even stress. In some cases, underlying cardiac problems may be the problem and you're actually seeing syncopal episodes. The only way to know is to have your kiddo seen by a vet.

If you do not already have a chin vet, please let me know your city, state and zipcode and I will help you to locate one that can help you. Until you're able to have her seen, make sure that she stays on the bottom level of her cage, that she cannot climb and ensure that the ambient temperature for her is at least 70 degrees.

If my answer has satisfied your question, please take the time to issue positive feedback. This is how experts are compensated for their time with each customer, like yourself. If questions remain,please reply and I will be happy to help you further.