Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my hamster has an eye infection, what can I do to

Customer Question

I think my hamster has an eye infection, what can I do to actually make sure he does?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What signs are you seeing at this point?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you, so I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now the reason I asked what you were seeing is because we can see different issues with the eyes. Infection often is appreciated by snotty (green/yellow) discharge from the affected eye. Otherwise, we can also see squinting, tearing, rubbing of the eye, clouding/haze/matting of the eyeball, redness, or swelling of the tissues around the eye. That said, those other signs can also be seen in cases where we have eye damage or corneal ulcers. And these are just as much a worry (if not more) then infection.

Therefore, in this case, if you just think Bubba has a bit of irritation, then you can flush the eye with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, contact lens solution). This will help flush out and debris, irritants, and reduce the potential bacterial load for the eye. Otherwise, if you see those other signs or he doesn't settle, then we'd want to have this evaluated by your vet (especially since eyes are so delicate and can rupture if we were to leave an ulcer untreated) to have the eye stained for any signs of ulcers or damage. And if that is clear, then hamster safe antibiotic eye drops can be dispensed to address this for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bubba. How is everything going?
Dr. B.