Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

I am interested in adopting a puppy (male) who is a great

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** I am interested in adopting a puppy (male) who is a great pyranese mix and 10 weeks old. i was told he was turned into rescue because some of the pups were peeing blood. He might have been one of them they are not sure. all the pups were treated for urinary tract infections with antibiotics only two had the blood issue they said the issue cleared up in three days. i am concerned that the pup may have some type of congential kidney issue the puppy is not close to me to have my vet check it out what can i do to prevent adopting a dog that can possibly have a chronic issue or am i overreacting
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the issue is what do i do to ensure this pup has no congenital issue? Is it rare for a pup who had pee in their urine to have a congential issue?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Pet Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I am a teacher and have class in a few minutes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I answered on the other page as well.

The most common cause for a dog to urinate blood is a urinary tract infection. If the pup has been treated and is no longer urinating blood, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you can get a release from the rescue in order to talk the their vet , then that might be something you can do to ensure you don't get a pup that has an ongoing issue. But without getting an exam from a disinterested third party, there really isn't any way to be sure.

There is a genetic disorder found in great pyrenees dogs called Glanzmann’s thrombasthenia (GT). Read more on this here:

http://www.akcchf.org/canine-health/health-testing/spotlight-on-genetic-tests/genetic-test-for-glanzmanns.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

The fact that multiple pups had bleeding would concern me. I really can't make the decision on whether you should adopt the pup or not, but I'd be inclined not to given the fact that multiple pups had bleeding.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/