PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Bugs in my dogs stool
, they looks like large size bugs

Customer Question

Customer: bugs in my dogs stool
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: they looks like large size brown bugs almost like fat worms but brown and hard
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Pet Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Good evening. Do you happen to have a picture of what you're seeing in your pet's stool? This will help experts to determine what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Think I attached them right

Thanks for the picture and the quarter for reference. I see you've done this once before! lol. Give me a few minutes here to do some research for you.

Can you tell me if you find these on fresh stool immediately after deposit?

Also, what food are you feeding?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorta fresh found them under my desk shortly after getting home from work they were still warm. My other dog used the bathroom after i got home and didnt see any. The dog in question is under a year old still puppyish. Also I have a farm and have pigs and horses so there I have no idea if there might be cross species contamination.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
oh also it was inside his poop only discovered when they broke up when disturbed. So i doubt they didnt come from inside his boddy. the poop was also hard yet had a slick film over it. Hope that is enough information.

That is one concern that comes along with finding something in the stool. We often find that grain mites and larva are present within the stool from poorly kept food (sometimes this isn't even something we did, it could be from a pet store or prior) and access to other animals/other animals food may have something to do with it. I'll have a reply for you shortly and hopefully more info so you can determine what these guys are.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I keep my cats and dog food and airtight containers at the house and buy from walmart. Airtight containers for freshness my animals for some reason are picky about stale food. The containers have a rubber gasket and pressure seal

I'm going to give you some info in my reply on going through and ensuring that larva may not have entered the bags prior to consumption and even prior to them being placed in the bins. It's pretty easy for this type of larva to enter the food making process and look just like a kibble (same color and everything). It's a very rare occurrence, overall, but through the midwest we did see an increase in the number of tainted bags we saw from 2012-2014 with this exact concern for a handful of our clients. It's good protocol to be sure, as it would certainly tell us where they came from and give you a plan for who to contact to figure out where they may have come from and what to do from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
These seem a bit big to come from mites I googled grain mites. I have heard of them before but checked to make sure. I have raised all sorts of animals and never seen this kind of parasite.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could it be possible that my horse has not flys and somehow the dog contracted them?

Did you mean botflys, by chance?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my iphone auto corrected.

One thing that comes to mind when seeing this that there's the potential for beetle larvae to be ingested if the dogs might have consumed fecal matter that was outside. It's not uncommon for dogs to find horse feces a delicacy, especially if they are grain fed.

This looks unlikely to be botfly larva. We can actually see those in the skin of dogs, but they are almost always alive, moist and spongy in consistency. The outside of the larvae you found looks to be a thicker coating of chitin, as you described that it's hard, which heavily suggests that it's some variety of insect.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
any chance of finding out what kind of larvae, why they survived the dogs intestinal track, and how to resolve if they are breeding in his intestinal track?

I've gone through quite a few references of insect literature including some that can be used to describe what you're seeing and give you reference points on what they could be. The picture you provided looks very similar to a black soldier fly, black larder or carpet beetles. All of these are commonly present around animals and animal feces.

When it comes to larva that may have been ingested, we do not worry about them breeding in a dog's intestinal tract. The settings are not right for this. However, one way to determine quickly if they're ingesting them is to keep both dogs out of the field for a week or so, monitoring all food consumptions, and watching their stool. If you don't see any more, they are most certainly not breeding in the intestinal tract (a minute concern in this case) and most likely being consumed, partially digested and then excreted (this happens more than you think with dogs).

If you are interested in getting the most detailed answer, there are two additional approaches I would take.

1) You can send this larvae sample to an entomology lab in your area which can tell you what you have found. Knowing this, you can work backwards on how it came to be within your pet's stool.

2) You can also present your pet and/or his stool to your vet's office and request a fecal exam be performed. Any ova present in the stool will be identified and a dewormer can be issued, if needed. Again, this looks to be insect larva and the adults would need to be present within the tract to produce the larvae, which is already unlikely as you aren't seeing adults in the stool and, moreover, the conditions would not be right for a live insect to live there and then produce young. A higher chance of an intestinal parasite would be there, but even then you would be seeing adult worms and not larvae. Those intestinal parasitic issues we see don't result in larvae like this. That said, a fecal exam can give you the certainty you're wanting.

If you are interested in finding an entomology lab to send this sample to, tell me know which state you're located in and I'll find one you can get in touch with.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback. If questions remain, please reply.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I live in Florida if there is a way you can help me find a entymogy center?

Sure thing. You're actually probably in a prime location for this.

This is the largest ones I found in the state, the latter one has directions for sending specimens in:

http://fmel.ifas.ufl.edu/

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/insectid/index.html

I would love to hear what you find out. Your case is an interesting one, indeed!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy