Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a very sick red devil cichlid. He is laying on the

Customer Question

Hi I have a very sick red devil cichlid. He is laying on the bottom of the tank with his body slightly curved. It's like he can't swim properly and has an indent on his right side. It has been about five weeks since he first got sick. He is in a 600 litre tank, ph is 7.5 I have given him a broad spectrum antibiotic which seemed to perk him up a few weeks ago and he was back eating. I have given him more antibiotics six days ago, then a 30% water change. I've again put more antibiotics in the tank. I have also wormed him. Please help
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to your question sooner. Different experts come on at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

When you tested the water, what numbers did you get in parts per million (ppm) for ammonia and nitrites? Are there other fish in the tank? If so, how many and what kinds? Thank you.