Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I'm a standby generator technician and commonly find mice in

Customer Question

I'm a standby generator technician and commonly find mice in certain units using the engine to stay warm. About a year and a half ago I found a baby field mouse in a unit and took it home with me. He has lived in a tank and when I found him his eyes were closed and ears were still down. A year and a half later he runs in his wheel and drives the cat crazy. Today though I woke up and found him stumbling around and flipping over himself. His eyes are about half closed and he looks kinda puffed up a bit like his fur isn't nice and sleek but messed up instead. What may be going on? I figured if it was rabies he wouldn't have lived for so long. He never gets taken out of his cage either unless we're cleaning it
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in small animals and exotics.

Can you tell me what type of bedding you use?

Is the mouse passing stool and urine?

Any runny nose or eyes?

Any wheezing?

Has the mouse been eating?

Joan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Natural paper bedding, can't tell if he's passing anything. Doesn't appear to have a runny nose. Looks like he ate a bit but I've seen him pick up food and he's falling all over himself when he tries to eat it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He just freaked out big time after I wrote that last bit. Thrashing around and running all over and jumping around like crazy.
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

First let me say that your little mouse is a senior citizen at this age. Their lifespan is very short at 1 1/2 to 2 years. What you are describing is a seizure and he is also have a Neurological issue. The cause could be from low blood glucose levels, which you can try a little Karo syrup or pancake syrup in the mouth to see if it calms the seizure. Other possible reasons for this could be bacterial or Viral infection that is affecting the brain like the Borna Virus which is RNA based and can show symptoms with aging and acts like Encephallitis, or a tumor. At this point, the Mouse really needs to see a Vet for treatment and accurate Diagnosis. There are so many variables about what is causing the seizure and neurological upset. I will give you a link to Rat Vets that can see and treat the Mouse: in each blank type the word member and it will brink Vets up by state: http://www.rmca.org/Resources/vets.htm/

I wish I could give you a more specific idea, but the Mouse needs to be treated immediately for the seizures, or you may loose him.

Joan