Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

We had 3 domestic rats under 1 yr old. 1 passed recently

Customer Question

Hi Doctor, we had 3 domestic white rats under 1 yr old. 1 passed recently with no outward signs of being sick. Was very lively, died within 3 hours of last being seen. Now another 1 is acting very lazy and slow to eat and get treats.
I feed them rat food, rat natural seed mix, small animals treats with wheat flour cookies wrapped in yogurt, veggie puffs, they also like cheese occasionally.
Pet store mentioned to give them small pieces of dog treats.
They have a 2 story cage with plenty of room and its cleaned often.
We had another rat last year, when I took it to the vet, $141.00/meds later it died.
Am I doing something wrong. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you, Sandra
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This a rat question, not a dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Have you noticed any breathing changes in the "lazy one" or the one who has passed?

Any sneezing, red discharge at the eyes or nose, or increased noisiness of their breathing?

Any changes to the stools you are seeing in the cage?

Are they eating their pellets or do they tend to favour all the treats they are having?

Had you noticed any increased thirst? The bedding getting wetter or smelling more quicker?

What medications were you given?