Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Please can you advise me urgently on how to make a

Customer Question

Hello please can you advise me urgently on how to make a redydration fluid at home? My hamster who is 18 months old is sick, yellow water coming out of her bottom, but I also found some some sticky stools. just sitting in my hand, hardly moving, has become thin in last 36 hours, won't eat or drink, one sticky eye. I can't get to Vet tonight (it's 11pm here in London) and I must help her to rehydrate if possible. ~So can you advise on how to make my own rehydration liquid?
Thank you so much. She is my daughter's hamster I have been looking after, successfully until now, and daughter returns from university tomorrow. Hamster is warm and in clean surrounds but urine smelly.
This hamster has never been much of a drinker, always preferring since birth to get her fluids from fruit and veg daily.
Thank you.
Isabel
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Jeff replied 1 year ago.

Chances are that this is a case of wettail. Your local pet store may carry a product called Dri-Tail or similar product which is a over the counter antimicrobial product for small rodents.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Small-Pet-Vitamins-Supplements/I/Kordon-Wet-Tail-Drops.aspx?CAWELAID=520009670000365995&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=520009670000048007&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAiAy7SzBRD_lv7quOnr6XUSJAAOLkW6FnbRxXFRacGwQY3B_2sFEiOL1dK2pvZg__2bZ0Oe6RoCMN_w_wcB

However, you are correct in assuming that correcting dehydration is important. The easiest way to do that if you do not have access to a pet store, is to use a human pediatric electrolyte solution such as pedialyte. You can administer this orally (1-3 drops) every hour or so. Keep in mind, this will not likely help the loose stools, but can help support hydration. I hope this helps and give you some direction.

Thanks

Dr. Jeff