Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

My 15 year old blue heeler mix just swallowed a 1/4 in thick

Customer Question

Hi, my 15 year old blue heeler mix just swallowed a 1/4 in thick piece of ham bone the size of a 50 cent piece. He seems fine, we watched to make sure he is breathing and not visibly distressed, but...do I need to have him seen still? Are there other concerns? It went down fine.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Did it have any ham left on it?

Has he vomited at all?

How long ago did he eat it?

I was hoping to get a response back but don't want you going without an answer. Dogs can develop an intestinal obstuction when round items are ingested. Since this is roundish and a bone, we do need to monitor him to be sure he doesn't develop an obstuction. Symptoms would be vomiting, loss of appetite, inability to defecate and possible abdominal pain and discomfort. If your dog develops these symptoms in the next 72 hours or so, you will want to have him seen. Read more on this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

In addition, bones can splinter and puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis If he chewed and broke the bone into pieces.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/peritonitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

So monitor him and have him seen if he develops any symptoms of obstruction.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.