Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

We have a baby sugar glider that seems to be ignored by

Customer Question

We have a baby sugar glider that seems to be ignored by mother. Seems very weak. What should we do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in exotics and small animals. If you feel the mother is neglecting the Joey and you feel you need to step in you will need to make a Formula to feed and you will be feeding around the clock. It is important to have a proper diet for feeding and care. You need to make a tough call as if the Joey is truly being neglected, as a mother glider will leave the Joey alone in the nest for a couple of hours at a time. Look and see if the Joey is underweight or scrawny, this will tell you if she is nursing him and he is getting adequate nourishment. Use that to help make a judgement as well as look for marks on the Joey as females will cannibalize the Joey. Should you decide it is time you will have to set up a make shift incubator for the Joey to keep him warm and safe and then start feedings.

This link I am going to give you goes over hand rearing Joeys and the formula for feeding : http://www.sugar-gliders.com/glidervet-52.htm#handrear2

This link goes over making the Incubator, another formula, and feeding schedule so you can get started:

http://www.critterlove.com/uploads/1/0/3/5/10355506/_hand_raising_joeys.pdf

You will have to stimulate the Joey after feedings and this can be very challenging, for you as an owner and care taker. I hope this information is helpful and the Joey does well.

Joan