Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I HAVE a pet lop ear rabbit, about a year and a half old. We

Customer Question

I HAVE a pet lop ear rabbit, about a year and a half old. We went on vacation for a week and had him stay in his hutch near the guinea pigs so he would not feel alone. Someone came in every other day to check on him, feed and water him. When we got home yesterday he was standoffish. Brought him up to the TV room where he hangs out with us when we are home. He had some loose stools and also some regular pebbles. He drank water like he was very thirsty, even though his water thing was half full when we came home. today I had him lie on the bed with me and he got sleepy and fell off, which doesn't happen. How worried should I be? He feels like he may have lost weight. Not sure how quick I can get him into a vet.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just checked on him. He is eating and drinking water, but listless
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Rabbits require daily regular exercise to maintain good physical and mental health. Regular exercise may also stimulate normal defecation and urination, thus promoting gastrointestinal and urinary tract health. I'm hopeful that now that you're home, his regular routine will normalize his behavior. His stools might be normal because rabbits excrete feces alternating between the hard-feces phase (which coincides with feeding activity) and the semi-fluid cecotroph phase (which usually coincides with a period of rest at least 4 hours after feeding). His falling off the bed concerns me as well but I have to remember that he hadn't been allowed on the bed for a week and easn't accustomed to it. As long as he continues to eat and drink, you can continue to "watchful wait". Anorexia and/or true diarrhea indicates a visit to his vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Michal,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dude. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Dude must have been a little depressed or confused. After a day or 2 of routine, he bounced back to his usual self. I decided I will not leave him alone (he had some contact, but not enough) any more.I would say you were somewhat helpful
Michal

That's what I wanted to hear! Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.