Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

Diamond a 3yr. old Basenji mixed has milk and is trying to

Customer Question

Diamond a 3yr. old Basenji mixed has milk and is trying to mother her toys..Never been mounted...
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Many females who are not bred during a heat cycle will experience a false pregnancy. They will sometimes have weight gain, breast development and even milk production. Some even go through false labor and "adopt" a stuffed animal or other toy baby for several weeks after they would have had puppies. What you are seeing is perfectly normal. If there is even the slight possibility she is pregnant, you will want to have her on puppy food. You can read up on false pregnancy here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_false_pregnancy.html

There are some medications available to help control milk production and other symptoms, but it usually resolves by itself in a few weeks. You can read about these medications on the following page.

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2006&PID=16052&O=Generic

Since there is no way she is pregnant, I would just make sure she doesn’t drink more than say one cup of water per 8 pounds of body weight for a few days to decrease milk production. Tempt her with a few chic***** *****vers or boiled chicken and rice to get her to eat a little. If for some reason she doesn’t start eating by tomorrow, then have her seen.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

Hi James,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Diamond... How is everything going?