Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My one year old dog had diarrhea with mucus today. She has

Customer Question

My one year old dog had diarrhea with mucus today. She has never even had loose bowels before. She is in good spirits, no vomiting, but lethargic and sleeping now. Should I call the vet, or wait to see how she does. We had company for two days, and she did eat some table food, which is not normal for her.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if your recent company has been giving Betsy table scraps then this could be what is triggering her diarrhea. Therefore, if she is bright, eating/drinking, well hydrated, and otherwise herself; you can try some supportive care to try to soothe this GI upset. Of course, if she seems dehydrated (has sticky gums, sunken eyes, skin tenting when you lift her skin), weak, or doesn't settle within 24 hours with supportive care then we'd want to consider having a check with her local vet.

In regards ***** ***** care, to start, you can try her on an easy to digest diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Otherwise, if her stool is very runny (and as long as you have not seen blood in her stool), you can also try her with a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit (especially if this has been triggered by her dietary indiscretion). It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose@ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores,and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, as Betsy is bright and has had a recent dietary indiscretion with tablet scraps, we can consider the above supportive care for her at this stage. Of course, if this doesn't settle with the above, then we'd want to have a check +/- fecal testing at her vets to rule out any coincidental infectious cause for her loose stools.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. If you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button withthe issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)