Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My beautiful 3 month old female ratty isn't eating... as of

Customer Question

My beautiful 3 month old female ratty isn't eating... as of this morning. She has also been staring off into the distance for long periods of time (eyes wide open - not sleeping), and, on occasion, shaking.
Nor has she pooed for many hours.
I'm quite concerned as she is not herself. Never before has she acted this way...
...any advice would be so greatly appreciated!
Thank you very much.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Small animals and exotics. What you are describing is Star gazing in Marshmallow. This is usually a problem due to seizure activity aor a genetic issue. The rat will need to see the Vet to be fully examined to determine whether this is a genetic mutation in Marshmallow or if it is seizure activity. In the mean time you need to start force feeding and some fluids. Please Take some Pedialyte and dilute with some water and slowly syringe feed a little at a time. Next please grind some of the pelleted food into a powder and mix with some of the ledialyte into a slurry and again syringe feed. We need to get some food going in to prevent a GI stasis. For stool you can give a dab of baby food prunes to see if you can promote a stool. This is a link for Rat Vets by State. Plea type Member in each blank to bring up the list: http://www.rmca.org/Resources/vets.htm/ The Rat needs to be seen for a hands on Diagnosis. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

How is Marshmallow doing? I wanted to check in to see if you started the slurry and fluids and set up a Vet Appt. Please let me know how things are going.

Joan