Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a 5 yr old Oranda who developed spots on s fins from

Customer Question

I have a 5 yr old Oranda who developed white spots on his fins from bottom sitting at night. I used a q tip with hydrogen peroxide to wipe the spots. his fins are now blood red where I did this.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to do topical antibiotics? I have neomycin ointment or I have a 2.27 bottle of Baytril for a dip. The red has increased in size and color today and he is now not eating. The fins are frayed and have lost their color in those areas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know the dosage for a Baytril dip and I don't do well with the mg/ml measurements. :/
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. If you stiill need help, Some additional information will help me figure out the next step for you.

Both the bottom sitting and the reddened fins can be symptoms of ammonia toxicity. Have you tested the water? If so, what numbers did you get for ammonia and nitrites in parts per million? If not, get a test kit that uses test tubes and chemicals you add to water sample. The strips you dip in the water are not accurate.

While you're at the store, also buy some aquarium salt. We may need it regardless of the test result.

Thank you.