Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My granddaughters hamster was exposed to an ultrasonic pest

Customer Question

My granddaughters hamster was exposed to an ultrasonic pest repellent for a couple of days. Now it cannot stand and won't eat and is lethatgic. Can it recover or is it permanently damaged? Thanks
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in small animal health. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

Has there been any change in the hamster since you first posted your question?

How old is the hamster?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it died.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry to hear that. The ultrasonic pest resellers are not designed to kill, but to drive pests away. However the hamster had no way to escape and was subjected to it constantly. That is extremely stressful, and such stress can lead to health problems. If the hamster was over 1 1/2 years, it was considered elderly, and that would have been a factor, too. If you have more questions about this, let me know in a REPLY. Again, I am sorry for your family's loss.