Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I have a guinea pig who is very sick. He is hunched over and

Customer Question

I have a guinea pig who is very sick. He is hunched over and wont' make any noises. There is a clicking sound coming from his nose, but no other noisy breathing. Slight discharge from his eyes and a little fluffed up. I think it's a URI, but there is absolutely no vet in 200 miles that will treat guinea pigs. I have called everywhere. I'm lost at what I can do. I think it's a uri.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Exotics and small animals. I need to ask a couple of questions to best assist you.

Can you tell me what type of bedding being used?

Is he eating and Drinking?

Any supplements being given?

Any cough, sneezing or runny nose?

Passing stool?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bedding: Fleece
Eating and Drinking: No. He ate and drank yesterday, but today he is not. I have been giving him water via a dropper.
Supplements: Vitamin C
An occasional sneeze, but no runny nose that I can tell.
Yes, but only tiny stool. Checked for impaction and he is not impacted.He was perfectly fine yesterday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His brother doesn't have the clicky sound from his nose when he breaths so I know this piggy is having issues. :(
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

If this is respiratory he will need an antibiotic, but for tonight you can take him into a steamy bathroom and allow him to inhale some steam. For his nose you can use a drop of saline nose drops in each nostril to help clear them. Make sure he is eating. You can mix Pedialyte and water together for fluids and syringe feed. Just in case he has a GI stasis, please give him 3 cc's two or three times a day of Pediatric Simenticone. This can help relieve gas in the intestinal tract. You can also massage the stomach gently. This is in case we are dealing with a bloat issue or a GI stasis. We need to make sure he has all the hay he wants and that he is eating. I am going to give you a list of Guinea pig Vets and see if there may be one you missed: http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html At this point all we can do is treat the symptoms and hope he can pull out of this without an antibiotic. Please let me know it you have any questions. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 Stars.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the list. No one in Wyoming even showed up as a vet :( He does squeel at me when I rub his tummy. I just administered some Simenticone to him as I did have that on hand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his tummy does sound a little rumbley, and occasionaly he hunches way up like he might be straining to release gas or something?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

If it is gas, the simethicone will help as well as the gentle abodminal massage. I am going to look at another list to see if I can locate anyone who can see him. Just give me a moment.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I have found one so far: http://www.caspervets.com/

Another one: http://riversidevet189.com/

One More: http://tristateveterinaryclinic.com/

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 Stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan