Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

5 week kitten bit off and swallowed the end of rubber

Customer Question

5 week kitten bit off and swallowed the end of rubber nipple. Now over 24 hours later is throwing up any milk and hasn't pooped. Can I give her Castro oil mineral oil or anything like that to help her pass it
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your kitten is vomiting. Based on your history, I am very concerned that she has an intestinal blockage. Cat intestines are very tiny and something as small as nipple could cause a blockage. This is a medical emergency and I would strongly advise you to take her to your local animal emergency room this evening. They will be able to take x-rays to determine if she is blocked. From there they will rehydrate her, give her medication to control her nausea, and possibly recommend surgery to remove the blockage.

I do not think that a home remedy will be effective this evening for a few different reasons- first, she is already dehydrated since she is vomiting. This makes her intestines "sticky" and slows digestion and movement of the intestines. Secondly, she is already vomiting. If you give her mineral oil, she may vomit the mineral oil back up again and inhale it into her lungs which will most certainly kill her.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your kitten? Any more vomiting? Did you elect to take her to your local animal ER? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your kitten this morning? Any changes since last night?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Piccolo is not feeling well today. I know your question is when should you take him to the emergency room and I don't have a straight forward answer for you.

First I would wonder what is causing Piccolo to have vomiting and diarrhea yesterday and not want his food today? Does he have intestinal disease such as inflammatory bowel disease or lymphoma? Does he have some other metabolic disease such as kidney failure, diabetes or liver failure? Does he have a disease that is easily treatable if you take him in right away vs waiting until tomorrow to see your regular vet? Does he have a fever?

Typically, when talking about cats eating or not, I say that if they are eating at least once every 24 hours, that is okay. So on the surface, you could, in theory, wait until tomorrow to see your regular vet, but again, I am still worried about what is making him so lethargic.

I am really sorry, but I cannot accept a phone call due to restrictions on my license. I can continue this conversation until all of your questions are answered, though.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,