Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My rabbit has a firm lump on her back that seems to move

Customer Question

My rabbit has a firm lump on her back that seems to move with the vertebra instead of the skin. I thought at first it was a muscle or even a bony growth. She doesn't seem to be in pain and has her normal appetite and attention-loving behavior. It doesn't feel warm to the touch or painful with palpation. She remains with the same activity level as before and plays with her toys and hay. She is an older rabbit (approx 8yrs old, though her age is uncertain). Is this an abcess or a bony growth?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Exotics and small animals. With something like you described, I suggest the Vet do a Fine Needle Aspiration. This is least invasive and will pull some cells form the area to see what you are dealing with. It is not very painful for your rabbit and will give some answers on what is going on with the bump. The Vet may also want to do an X ray if the FNA does not reveal anything. In a Situation like this we can use an Xray and FNA to help see what course of action if any will be needed. I would not push too much since Blackberry is an older girl. As long as all is normal, I would do the least to rule out an infection. IF I have addressed your concerns, Please take a moment to rate my service. If you have further concerns, please hit reply.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see how your Rabbit is doing and if you have had it into the Vet. Please let me know if you need any clarification and if the answer was helpful.

Joan