Rebeccavet
Rebeccavet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian since 1985, treating cats, dogs, and other small animals
11877925

I really need an accurate as answer as you can possibly

Customer Question

I really need an accurate as answer as you can possibly give. I don't know if it's impossible to know without a necropsy/histo
examine, but I am interested in knowing what you think the most likely answer is.
I found a new born mouse on the tile floor of my building. ( I would love to know your best guess as to how it got there. There is
nowhere close by there could have been a nest, and would the mother have just dropped it on the floor and left it?)
When I first saw her, she was barely moving and freezing cold. I heavily diluted some half and half (bc it was late at night) and fed
her by wicking it into her mouth with a thick string. She mad a very long brown poop. By the end of the feeding, she was moving, and
had a lot of color.
A few hours later I gave her another feeding and another belly and genital rub. But this time she only peed. The next day I watered
down some KMR and fed her the same way. To be honest, I don't think I fed her every two hours, but more like every 4 hours. Do
you think that could eventually could have killed her?
I had her for a total of 4 days. My best guess is that she was about 2 days old when I found her. She was pigmented a dark gray
normal, and was at the end sprouting little hairs (no real fur)
On the next day and everyday after I fed her every two hours. The thing is, she never really pooped again. I rubbed her genitals and
belly, and she would always pee a lot, but in the few days (after that first initial big poo) I had her, she only pooped a few watery
yellow drops. Definitely nothing solid, like the first poop. the poop was bright mustard yellow. Is that a normal color? I would fed her
a little, then rub her to stimulate her, then repeated until she yawned to go to sleep and I would feed her one more time, before
putting her in her fluffy sock.
Every few feedings, I would give her a few drops of unflavored pedialyte, bc I she was peeing so much, I wanted to make sure she
had enough electrolytes.
The last time I fed her, she was more energetic than ever. I seemed like I fed her forever. Everytime I tried to quit feeding, I would
put her down and she would frantically sniff her sock, my guess, was bc she was looking for a nipple. Then I would pick her up and
feed her again, and she ate. I don't think I forced it down her throat, bc if I pushed too much at anytime, it would just drip all over her
face and body. I didn't see her aspirate any formula. She never blew bubbles and I was very careful not to get it on her nose.
When I picked her up for her last few feeding, she would make a clicking noise while sniffing around. I think she was purring, but I
have read some times they do that when in respiratory distress. But she did not seem to have any problems breathing.
Anyway, on her last marathon feeding, I put her down for ten seconds and when I came back, she was gasping, wide with her mouth.
She did this every few seconds 5 more times, and went limp. I was worried maybe she was choking, and tried to hold her head
down and gently pat her back to dislodge anything.
She only had a definite milk belly on the last day, but I assumed bc I was really looking the first day, and She didn't eat as much as
the last two feeding throughout the other 3 days I had her. Did the two small feeding of watered down half and half clog up her so
she died of not being able to defecate?
This whole thing has been very hard. Your best informed educated thoughts on why you think she died would be so helpful.
I have done a ton of research and I still don't really have anything conclusive, but I have some guesses of Tyzzer's disease, Mouse
Hepatitis virus, or just inablity to use the bathroom. Did she not get enough to eat? Was it something else I'm not seeing? If you
think it will be helpful, I can send you some pictures pre and post mortem. Is there a group I should post this to for answers?
Thanks so much for your help. Information will make me feel so much better.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Rebeccavet replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear your attempt to save this little mouse ended so sadly. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is nearly impossible to save any baby this young. They need mouse milk; KMR and half and half would not have the correct balance of protein and fat for a mouse. In any baby this young, the right balance of ingredients in the milk is critical.

The watery yellow poop is probably the biggest clue to why she died. She was not blocked up from what you were feeding her, she had diarrhea and diarrhea in babies this young is almost always fatal. You did the exact right thing by giving the Pedialyte; extra fluids are what babies with diarrhea need. The only thing you may have done wrong was to over feed her; better too little food than too much in ones this young.

The clicking sound and the gasping could be signs she aspirated. Babies this young really need to suckle from a nipple and of course you could not get a nipple this small. But taking in drops by mouth, she could easily have aspirated some of the milk.

She may have had an infectious disease like Tyzzers and only an autopsy with specific tests for diseases would tell you, but it is more likely that she was doomed the moment she was parted from her mother. If she had been older, with fur and open eyes you might have been able to save her, but saving newborn anything, whether birds, kittens, puppies you lose more than you save. Their digestive tracts, immune systems and physiology are just so undeveloped that without a mother mouse, any slight imbalance was more than she could compensate for.

Another possibility that the mother knew something was wrong and abandoned her, as mothers of litters will do. She may have had a congenital problem the mother sensed, and rejected her because the mother knew she was not going to make it.

Thank you for your efforts to save her, and let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebeccavet replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote!

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer; you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rating my answer is the only way the website knows to credit me for answering your question.

Expert:  Rebeccavet replied 1 year ago.

How are you doing? Was my answer helpful?