Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I've got two albino rabbits, they are five months old. Last

Customer Question

Hello, I've got two white albino rabbits, they are five months old. Last week we gave them a bath and since then we noticed that one of them keeps shedding hair on both her legs, she has patches of hair missing on the under part of both legs. Does she has worms, fungus or an infestation of some sort.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I would like to help you today. Some additional information will be useful.

Is this problem on the back legs?

Does the skin there appear red at all?

Is the fur stained?

Thank you.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

It appears you went offline without seeing my request for more information. while there is no way to be certain based only on the available information, the symptoms you're seeing may indicate a condition in the urinary/reproductive organs. When the fur on the inside of the hid legs is the only area affected by fur loss, it usually means the rabbit has urine leaking during sleep and/or throughout the day, rather than that she is not cleaning herself. The urine dries the skin, and eventually the ammonia in it even burns the skin. This is called urine scald. Urine leakage can be caused by infection, bladder or kidney stones, diabetes, tumors, kidney disease, or a condition called sludge.

She needs to be seen by a vet to determine the cause of the problem and provide proper treatment. This link will take you to a directory of rabbit vets:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

In the meantime, you can wipe the area with a warm wet cloth. Petroleum jelly (such as Vaseline) can be put on in a thin layer to protect and soothe the skin. Bathing a rabbit is never a good diea. It is a shock to their system, and they often become ill after a bath.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your rabbit will quickly recover.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!